PIG Plate Carrier (US Pat. Nos. 9,222,757 & D781,000)
PIG Plate Carrier - The PIG Plate Carrier is the most versatile PC I have ever worn. The LIK Kit is a huge plus for limiting the amount of straps hanging off of my body armor. Having the ability to change the attachment points for the Double D ring (I love saying that) to fastex is great for my weak side. I can still ditch it quickly on one side but don't have anything that interferes with my my rifle stock on my firing side. The super small profile of the PIG rig is amazing. i no longer feel like the state puff marshmallow man in my Armor. I was a little worried when i first put it on that it wasn't giving me enough coverage. Then I realized MY ESAPI plate was in it.... made me realize how poorly I had covered my vital organs in the past. The high riding PIG PC keeps my thoracic area covered better than any other PC I have ever worn and I have a full range of motion. The way I see it, I'll survive a gut shot more than likely (although the pain may make me want to die) but my chances of surviving a collapse lung due to trauma are slim.
The Patrol Incident Gear Plate Carrier (PIG PC) is a Patented (US Pat. Nos. 9,222,757 & D781,000) design that was over two years in the making. Starting off as a modified Eagle Plate Carrier Pre-production model in 2007, we threw out the drawing board altogether and performed a complete ground-up metamorphosis based directly on a list of functional attributes we wanted to feature. The result is the most versatile, and most highly-rated plate carrier on the market. The PIG PC is a lightweight plate carrier system that allows the user to configure the kit to work optimally with their mission profile. It is proudly Made in the USA, and offers some of the most unique features available on a plate carrier today.
Approx. weight (w/ Molle Cummerbund): 2 lbs 11 oz
- Elevated Plate Profile - Most plate carriers on the market tend to carry the plate extremely low in relation to the most vital organs and vessels in the upper-thoracic region they are meant to protect. One of the main goals of this carrier was to get both front and back plates high enough to maximize protection of your vitals. An adjustable plate harness pushes each plate to the top of the plate pocket, and keeps plates centered left and right through internal velcro stabilizers. The PIG PC also places the top of the rear plate ABOVE the connection point to the shoulder straps. This allows both front and rear plates to be optimally positioned without sacrificing comfort.
- One Size Fits Most – The adjustable plate harness and the internal Velcro stabilizers allow the wearer to use any size SAPI/ESAPI plate from Small through Extra Large (or similar corner cut plates) without having the plates bottom out or swim around in the carrier. The PIG is the only plate carrier that can secure this wide range of plate sizes while maintaining such a low footprint on the wearer.
- Rear Padding System - The rear plate carrier features two vertical back pads that keep contact off of your spine and creates an air-flow channel to aid in increased ventilation and heat dissipation. These vertical pads flow into the integral padded shoulder straps, creating a continuous shock-absorbing feature that is extremely comfortable for extended use.
- Hybrid Construction - Utilizes 500 Denier Cordura and lightweight Pack Nylon in different areas according to abrasion exposure to minimize weight.
- Multiple Cummerbund Options - Now you can get all the features you want, or just those you need with regards to the cummerbund. With 2 cummerbund options and 3 side plate carrier options, you have multiple configurations to select from.
- Scalable Side Plate Pocket Options - Now you can use 6"x 6" side plates as well as 6"x 8" & 7" x 8" models with the extended retention strap feature on both of our Side Plate Carrier models. The elastic expansion capability allows you to run just a side plate, or both a side plate and a soft armor backer behind it with no slop or movement in the pouch. The PIG Modular Side Plate Carrier (MSPC) adds the most versatility, securing most any size side plate with or without soft armor backer to any Molle surface.
- Dedicated Plate-backer Pockets - Each PIG PC ships with a custom cut foam panel that sits inside a dedicated pocket to increase comfort for the wearer. You can access and replace this panel with a soft armor insert without having to touch your plates and visa-versa. This makes plus-ing up or scaling down a much simpler operation.
- G-Hook Applications - The PIG PC is the first production Plate Carrier to utilize ITW G-Hook, easily one of the most versatile pieces of hardware available to the tactical market today. Used in the primary shoulder strap attachment, it allows the user to replace hardware in the field and select between a side release buckle or a metal D-ring assembly. The PIG PC Load Integration Kit also uses G-Hooks to seamlessly integrate the popular Eagle Yote pack to the PIG PC.
- Semi-Rigid Drag Handle - The tubular nylon drag handle houses a length of plastic tubing to increase surface area and comfort when gripping.
- Split Cummerbund Retention Flaps - By splitting the cummerbund flaps, the user is able to keep one side attached at all times through repeated don/doff cycles. The flaps' outer corners are retained by snap tabs that come up from underneath to keep the corner retained. Each flap includes a kangaroo pouch for hasty item storage or integration of dedicated flap pouches.
- Front & Back Velcro PALS - Now you don't have to settle for either just a velcro panel, or PALS without velcro. Both front and back plate compartments have velcro-covered PALS webbing that lets the user configure the Plate Carrier with ID patches or modular pouches as necessary.
To order a functional PIG-PC system, at a minimum you must select 1 x PIG PC Chassis and 1 x PIG PC Cummerbund. This Ala Carte system allows the user to custom configure their carrier for their specific mission straight from the vendor.
Want a Low-Profile High Mobility configuration with slick sides? Select the PIG PC Chassis with PIG-PC-CBE (Elastic Cummerbund). This is easily the most comfortable and adjustable combination.
Want to maximize load capability and run with side plates? Choose the PIG-PC Chassis with PIG Plate Carrier Molle Cummerbund (previously named: Soft Armor Compatible Molle Cummerbund) and PIG-PC-SPC-CBM (Side Plate Carrier, Molle Cummerbund). Want Cummerbund Soft Armor inserts and the Side plate in front of the soft armor? Select the PIG Cummerbund Soft Armor Inserts and the MSPC.
Options are as follows:
- PIG-PC-CBE / Elastic Cummerbund - A simple 4" wide elastic cummerbund attaches via velcro to the rear cummerbund channel on the PIG-PC Chassis. When configured, user should affix the cummerbund on the bottom-most 4 inches of the rear cummerbund channel, and correspondingly secure the front of the cummerbund at the bottom-most 4 inches under the front cummerbund flaps.
- PIG Molle Cummerbund (previously named Soft Armor Compatible Cummerbund)- Offering 10 columns and 3 rows of PALS webbing on each side, this cummerbund allows for a host of modular mounting options. Adjustments to the shock cord can be made through an adjustment slot in the rear cummerbund channel of the PIG-PC Chassis. The offset paracord pull handles aide in removal when doffing. The inside of the cummerbund is lined with loop velcro to incorporate the PIG-PC-SPC-CBM (Side Plate Carrier, Molle Cummerbund) with a webbing loop for a retention tether. *This item can be used with the Eagle Molle Plate Carrier with Cummerbund.*
- PIG Elastic Cummerbund Sleeve - Instantly provides you with 6 columns and 4 adjacent rows of Molle to increase your load bearing capability. The Elastic Cummerbund Side Plate Carrier: allows you to carry any side plate from 6" x 6", 6" x 8" and 7" x 8". The Elastic Cummerbund Molle Sleeve w/ Side Plate Carrier: combines the features of both of the previous systems into one product.
- PIG-PC-SPC-CBM / Side Plate Carrier for Molle Cummerbund - This velcro pouch offers the user a side plate capability for the PIG-PC-CBM. Due to the large velcro engagement area inside the cummerbund, the user has a host of placement options, fore and aft, as well as by turning the orientation of the pouch. The pouch will hold 6"x 6" side plates as well as 6"x 8" & 7" x 8" with the retention strap oriented up or down. The cord supplied with each PIG-PC-SPC-CBM is for a tether to be tied through the grommet on the cummerbund for additional retention in extreme environments.
- PIG-MSPC / Modular Side Plate Carrier- When running Soft Armor in the Cummerbund, it is important to keep the Side Plate in front of the soft armor. The MSPC allows the wearer to do just that. Utilizing Malice clips, the MSPC attaches to the PIG Molle Cummerbund and any other Molle interface.
- PIG-PC-LIK / Load Integration Kit - Utilizing the innovative G-Hook from ITW, this kit includes all the necessary hardware to allow for the seamless integration of load and/or hydration systems such as the popular Eagle YOTE.
- PIG-PC-GH-SRB / G-Hook Side Release Buckle Kit (2) - Each PIG-PC-Chassis includes this item as a primary attachment for front and back plate carriers. This kit provides 2 additional assemblies to use as field replacements, or to attach additional accessories to the array of G-Hook anchors on the PIG-PC padded shoulder straps.
- PIG-PC-GH-DD / G-Hook Double D-Ring Kit (2) - This double ring assembly allows the user to replace a G-Hook Side Release Buckle assembly on the PIG-PC Chassis to allow for a reduced profile, and very quick strap adjustment.
For plate carrier fitting advice, please see the SKD post: How to Choose the Right Size Plate Carrier
PIG Plate Carrier Plate Installation
How to install plates in the front and back plate pockets for ...
PIG Plate Carrier Soft Armor Compatible Molle Cummerbund
3 part video detailing the installation of the Molle Cummerbun...
PIG Plate Carrier Elastic Cummerbund
Details and installation of the Elastic Cummerbund for the PIG...
This PIG PC is proof great quality still exists and is affordable. All the materials used to make this PC are tough as nails. From the Velcro, and MOLLE Pals to the stitching that was meticulously done. The PC is very comfortable and easy to put on and take off. I can’t say enough good things... the rear pull handle is great and well stitched in. The rear air flow channel is functional. You can tell this PC is well engineered and thought out. I recommend this PC to anyone currently in the market for one.
Ok purchased this years ago for a SHTF carrier. Trained in it a few times and here is my thoughts. I wanted a comfortable yet quality carrier. The carrier sits high. I agree it covers the vitals as advertised. I'm a big guy, 6'2" going 280 and that isn't couch weight. My suggestions is to add an adjustment on the shoulder for adjustment. My big shoulders and chest wants to push the plates out because the straps cant be adjusted. Second concern is the flap that holds the plates is fraying after only taking the plates out and in three times. I expected better for the money spent. Rides comfortable and carries the weight Ok. Time will tell on the durability. Would I buy again, that depends. I am looking currently for a lightweight system to keep in a go bag. Will research much more before buying.
It will get the job done but for this price point there are most cost efficient options out there. It has solid construction, maybe even too much so with there being a lot of extra material built into this carrier. Which in turn adds up to more weight and bulk. 2 plus pounds is pretty heavy for a plate carrier being empty in my opinion. When this carrier first came out and there wasn't many options this carrier was the tits, but now in today's market you can get way more for your hard earned money
Great. Fits really well. Plates are held securely and cover the essential torso machines/organs that keep the ole brain running.
This plate carrier is an extremely well thought out design that leverages subtle design changes to fit the wearer. I just got back from NTC training with my unit and while everyone was dying from heat in their IOTVs I was staying much cooler in this carrier. It breathes significantly better than standard issue equipment. This is a minimalist design so if you are looking for something to carry half of what should be in your ruck, keep looking. This plate carrier is very light and rests closer to the base of the neck which makes for a significantly more comfortable fit. The fact its closer to the neck also allowed me to shoulder my weapon far more effectively than other plate carriers/IOTVs (kind of important in the Infantry world). The kangaroo pouch on the front was perfect for admin supplies ie. map markers, pens, small notebooks but less so for magazines. I would buy this again in a heart beat its well worth the money with the experience I have had with other gear.
Overall the product is fantastic. Great fit/comfort. However I ordered the wrong cummerbund and when I inquired about the right one there wasnÕt any in stock. So now IÕm stuck with an elastic cummerbund and waiting for the molle multicam ones to come back in stock.
This playe carrier is well worth every penny. Very well made. Being a smaller guy this carrier makes it easy for the plates to stay high up in the carrier covering what itÕs suppose to. I have run with the carrier and the padding and design keep it in place and comfortable. Everyone asks me where I got it from.
Once out of the box I was thoroughly impressed with the quality and construction of the PIG. I went with the molle side option to allow for side plates in the future. I am 5'7" 200lbs so I was concerned with how low it would ride on me, but the carrier has tons of room to adjust so its not even a concern anymore. I will be running the green E sapi plates and they fit great.
Solid construction, good quality, versatile. With Hardwire Level III plates (3.1 lbs. ea.), PIG IIIA soft backers, cummbunds, and Level IIIA cummerbund inserts, the kit comes in at 12.4lbs. There are lighter plates, both Level III and IV, that would allow you to set up the PIG right at 10lbs. Best combination of quality, warranty, flexibility, mobility and cost. One size fits most, I'm 5'11", 235lbs, with a 36" waist; any bigger and you'll need to go with another vest to ensure coverage with the cummerbunds. If you use a layered system and don't require the cummerbunds, then it will fit even bigger dudes.